Guide EU/EFTA citizens moving to Switzerland

Guide EU/EFTA citizens and relatives moving to Switzerland

Moving to Switzerland as an EU/EFTA citizen makes a lot of sense and it’s not super difficult. If you are a part of the EU-25, the process is actually seamless and you will just need a passport and a valid ID. A good thing here is that you need to register your arrival, but you are allowed to stay for up to 90 days or even 180 days without a problem, you can extend as needed at the cantonal migration office.

That being said, you will need to show why you want to extend and there are certain restrictions based on where you come and also what you want to do in the country. Also, you need to make sure that you have enough money to take care of yourself. You need to have health insurance with a Swiss company, and students need to show that they were admitted by a particular institution.

Permits you might need

There are multiple types of residence permits for the EU/EFTA citizens.

  • The L permit is for short residences up to a year.
  • The B residence permit is for those that want to work for more than a year.
  • The G cross border commuter permit is for those that live in the EU/EFTA member state but want to work in the country.
  • Then you have the Type C settlement permit for 5 years of validity and the Ci which is a residence permit with gainful employment.

Are you allowed to work in Switzerland as an EU/EFTA citizen?

If you want to work up to 3 months, you will need to register online for that. However, if you want to work for more than 3 months, you need to apply for a residence permit. In order to do that you will need a valid passport, a passport photo, a lease or rental agreement for the home, an employment contract and so on depending on the situation. On top of that, if you want to provide a service in the country you will be required to share a declaration via SERI’s online system. Each one of the service providers, be it regulated or not, have to take a declaration either way.

Aside from that, there are some other methods you can use to work in Switzerland that still need your attention. You can be an au pair, in this case you need to be under 30, but the agency you work with will take care of everything. In case you lose your job or the contract ends, you will need to go through the entire application process which can be challenging. And that’s not taking into account the special requirements for people in Croatia, Bulgaria or Romania.

That being said, if you’re a part of the EU/EFTA then the rules are not very strict if you want to work in Switzerland. You still have regulations and paperwork to deal with, but the results can be very impressive and that’s something to consider.